As we all know kale is one of the hottest foods out there right now. It is so great for you, the benefits are impossible to deny:
Tons of fiber
Loads and loads of vitamins
Full of antioxidants – aka natures antibiotic
It’s CANCER fighting, need I say more
I could go on for awhile that’s how fabulous it is, but in all honesty kale gets a terrible rep. My mom always laughs when I eat it saying it reminds her of the day she worked at a buffet in high school and used it to line the display cases. I will say it is not best served alone and you need to be creative and work outside of the box to get it in your diet!
One of my new favorite ideas is to make a roasted kale salad. A super easy and great way to give you kale some extra flavor and crunch is to incorporate a lovely mixed green kale salad and the kale chips!
Note: Pictured with Lemon Chicken, see recipe here.
Roasted Kale Salad Recipe
Kale Chips – What you’ll need
- 2 cups of kale
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 fresh cloves (1 teaspoon dry) garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon of activated yeast
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut or rip apart kale. Be sure to get rid of the hard stem and lay on a baking sheet.
- Get in there with your hands and massage kale with olive oil until it is fully coated.
- Rub on the spices and make sure it is spread out on the baking sheet
- Bake at 400 for 8-10 mins or until it shrunk and is slightly toasted on the edges
*If you don’t have activated yeast you can use Parmesan cheese as a substitute. Activated yeast is just great for a lactose-free diet or vegans, as it provides the cheesy taste without the dairy!
Salad – What you’ll need:
- 3 cups of raw kale
- chopped veggies
- Salad dressing, oil based
What to do:
- While the kale is roasting chop up all of the veggies you have in your kitchen.
- Chop up the remaining kale and rub it your dressing.
- Compile the kale, veggies and top with kale chips.
- I usually add flax seeds, chia seeds or wheat berries to top off most salads to add some additional fiber.